What we do
Music for Minors is a nonprofit with 40 years of expertise in elementary school music education. Our mission is to nurture in children a lifelong love of music. Operating in the San Francisco Bay Area, our staff provides students in transitional kindergarten through fifth grade with a program of diverse, high-quality musical experiences that is:
- Engaging and participatory
- Based on state music education standards
- A foundation for further choral and instrumental music education
- Cost-effective (regardless of district/school resources)
The Music for Minors curriculum is sequential and varied, including visual aids, props, and instruments. Lessons include singing, listening, reading, theory, movement, dancing, and playing rhythm instruments and recorders. Our volunteer and professional teachers are trained in general music, recorders, and classroom management.
- Develop music sensitivity and literacy in children
- Enhance children’s enjoyment and appreciation of music
- Help schools fulfill state-mandated music education requirements
Music for Minors funds its programs through variable program fees from schools and the generosity of supporters such as individual donors, collaborations and sponsorships, benefit events, and grants from foundations, corporations, and businesses such as Bill Graham Memorial Foundation, Leo M. Shortino Family Foundation, Los Altos Town Crier Holiday Fund, Carlsen Subaru/Share the Love Campaign, Farrington Historical Foundation, and Optimist Club of Redwood City.