Board of Trustees
The Music for Minors Board of Trustees is a select group of dedicated individuals who govern the overall objectives and vision of the organization.
- Mike has a BS in Computer Science from Washington University and an MS in Industrial Administration from Carnegie Mellon University. He was a senior partner for 29 years at Accenture, the information systems consulting firm. Mike’s nonprofit experience include terms as Treasurer, Vice President, and President of the Portola Valley Schools Foundation, and Treasurer of the Western Wheelers, an 800-member bicycle club in Palo Alto. He plays saxophone in several groups at the Jazz School in Berkeley and in the R&B cover band Addison Street. Mike joined the Board in 2011.
- Liz earned a BS in Zoology at University of Massachusetts and a Master’s in Biology from Harvard University (Extension School). She worked in the biotech field before raising two boys; she also volunteered with the Los Altos Art Docents for the past 15 years, serving many board positions, including chair, and is currently on its curriculum committee. Liz has volunteered for many nonprofits including MVLA Scholars (Program Council and Selection Committee), the Cantor Museum of Art, and the Friends of Westwind Barn. Liz joined the Board in 2011.
- Stephen obtained his BA in English from UC Berkeley, where he was a cellist in the Baroque Music ensemble. He earned an MBA at Golden Gate University while selling and marketing computer products and professional services. Stephen met his wife in high school playing with Palo Alto Chamber Orchestra, where both remain active. He and his wife also performed with Redwood Symphony and Master Sinfonia for many years, and are dedicated community volunteers. Stephen served on the MFM Board from 2006-2008 and re-joined in 2014.
- Howard grew up in a musical family and is currently active in choral and instrumental music, singing in three choirs and playing in symphonic and jazz ensembles at DeAnza College. Howard played euphonium in marching and concert bands while obtaining a BSEE and MSEE from the University of Kentucky. He completed his advanced degree in Engineering Economic Systems at Stanford. As a systems and hardware engineer, Howard began his career in the aerospace industry, leading projects for space applications and the Apollo program, specializing in computer systems for image processing applications. Howard joined the Board in 2014.
- Larry specializes in the areas of fire and explosion investigation, fluid mechanics, and related areas of electrical and chemical energy analysis. His career has included investigating accidents in the residential, commercial, industrial, and transportation sectors. He earned his BS, MS, and PhD—all in Mechanical Engineering—from the University of Washington. Larry joined the Board in 2016.
- Sharon is currently a teacher in the Los Altos School District. She has a BA in Anthropology and a Lifetime Teaching Credential from San Francisco State University. She directs children’s musicals and choruses, volunteers at the Ronald McDonald House, and sings with a local choir. Sharon is a former Music for Minors Volunteer Educator and joined the Board in 2004.
- Audra is a product marketing manager currently working for Cisco Systems. With over 10 years of experience in program and product management, as well as cross-functional team leadership, she has expertise in contract negotiation, and licensing strategy and execution. She has a BA in Administrative Studies and Political Science from UC Riverside. Audra joined the Board in 2016.
- Cathy is a former Music for Minors Volunteer Educator (1988-1996 at West Valley, Montclaire, and Bullis Elementary Schools) who also served on the Board from 1990-2000, including two years as President. In addition, Cathy has been a member of the MFM Advisory Board and People of Note. She holds a BA in Spanish and an MA in Education from Stanford, and taught high school Spanish in local schools for many years. She has sung as a first soprano with Schola Cantorum since 1977. Cathy re-joined the Board in 2011.
- Lee is an experienced trial attorney who has spent most of his career as a founder and partner at Coddington, Hicks & Danforth in Redwood Shores. He represents a broad range of clients in business, commercial, contract, personal injury, and real estate disputes. Lee has a BA in political science from California Lutheran University and a law degree from University of the Pacific. Lee joined the Board in 2014.
- Nancy earned a Bachelor of Music degree from the University of British Columbia, followed by a Masters of Music in Vocal Performance from UC Irvine. She has extensive performance experience with the Romanian National Opera, and has taught general music in elementary school for several years. Nancy currently serves as an MFM Volunteer Educator, and joined the Board in 2016.
- Greg has a BA from the University of California-Berkeley and a Master’s in Music from San Jose State University. He is currently Product Manager with Google, with expertise in product development and integrations. Other experience includes technical writing and editorial work on the Beethoven Journal. Greg also has a background in classical vocal performance and has developed curriculum in music, math, and science for children ages 5-14. Greg joined the Board in 2014.
- Gunilla was educated at the Southern Methodist University in Texas and works as an event planner. She was a founding member of Music for Minors. She also sits on the boards of the Vintage Affaire and the YMCA and is a sustaining member of Junior League of Palo Alto. Gunilla joined the Board in 2005.
- Bill has a BA in Natural Sciences from Washington & Lee University and an MBA from Wharton School of Finance and Commerce. In 1986, Bill established Hockett Associates, Inc., a senior management search firm. Bill is Manager and bassist for The Jazz ConneXion, a SF Peninsula-based jazz trio/quartet/larger and former Board President for the Wharton Graduate Alumni Association. Bill joined the Board in 2007.
- Grace has a BA in Psychology and a BS in Elementary Education with a minor in Music from the University of Missouri. As a founder of MFM, she was Executive Director for four years. She was also founder of People of Note and served as its first president. She taught music in the Mountain View School District for 14 years. She has been a core Kodaly method instructor for MFM docents for over 16 years. Grace joined the Board in 1995.
- Chris is a former Music for Minors Volunteer Educator (1979–1986 at Santa Rita Elementary in Los Altos). She has extensive teaching experience in elementary schools in both Los Altos and Mountain View and in eighth grade English. Currently she is retired and spends her time volunteering in a literacy program for at-risk middle and high school students, as well as with MFM. Chris joined the Board in 2010.
- Duane is an information services professional who has served in executive management positions with several local software companies. His commitment to education began when his daughter started kindergarten and he co-founded and led the Los Altos Educational Foundation to help ensure adequate school funding. Since that time he has served multiple terms on the Board of Trustees for the Los Altos School District. He studied Applied Mathematics and Computational Sciences at the University of Colorado – Boulder. Duane joined the MFM Board in 2016.
- John has a BA from the University of the Pacific. He is the president of SST Insurance Brokers, Inc. in Los Altos. He is a member of the Rotary Club and has been a board member of Bus Barn Stage Company for many years. He is a jazz musician by avocation, and plays regularly in the area with The Jazz ConneXion. John joined the Board in 2007.
- Jack has a BS from Salem College and an MBA from American University, Kogod School of Business. He is currently a realtor for Intero Real Estate and works with clients who want to sell or purchase residential or investment property in Santa Clara or San Mateo counties. He has spent over 25 years in the health care, information technology, and startup industries. He joined the Board in 2010.